Wheat has always had an important place in human life. It is one of the most consumed foods. Einkorn wheat is among the prominent wheat species in recent years. The widespread use of healthy eating habits has increased the interest in einkorn wheat. What makes this wheat so important? What are its features?
Einkorn wheat is one of the first cultivated cereal grains. It is said that it was first cultivated 10-12 thousand years ago. It is one of the food products that preserves the genetic form of thousands of years ago. Its Latin name is Triticum monococcum.
The husk structure of einkorn is hard. Therefore, it is resistant to cold. It is also resistant to diseases and pests for the same reason.
Properties and uses of einkorn wheat
Its usage areas are more diverse than in the past. Bulgur is made from einkorn wheat. Bread, pastries, etc. with einkorn flour. You can do things. You can see that it is also used in products such as pasta, noodles, tarhana. Let’s look at the properties of einkorn wheat, which is increasingly used.
- It is a type of wheat rich in carotenoids. Carotenoids have high antioxidant capacity.
- Compared to other wheat types, the amount of gluten is less. Do not think that there is none, there is, but the amount is small.
- Its glycemic index value is low. Therefore, it provides satiety for a longer time.
- Dietary fiber ratio is higher than other wheats. For this reason, it can help prevent constipation.
- It is rich in B group vitamins.
- It contains twice as much vitamin A and iron mineral as normal wheat.
- Its protein content is high.
- Folic acid level is higher than other wheat types.
All these features make einkorn wheat ahead of other wheats. I’m leaving a table with nutritional values below. Be sure to check it out. But it should not be forgotten that einkorn wheat is also a grain. We must create an adequate and balanced diet.
|Energy (kcal/100 g)||340|
|Dietary Fiber (%)||9,72|
|Folic Acid (µ/100g)||26|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) (mg/100g)||0,25|
Işık F., Keser A., Siyez Buğdayının Sağlık Üzerine Etkileri, Sted, 2020, Cilt 29, Sayı 4, s. 299-304.